|Time Trials . . . Divisionals . . . and volunteering . . . oh my!|| |
Feb 4, 2012
We are in the final stretch of the short course swim season! We've had several new families join the team this year, and I wanted to send an e-mail to clarify some of the confusion that typically exists this time of year!
1. If you aren't sure what's going on - ask! We are a volunteer managed club and sometimes we forget how much we've learned through the years. It can be confusing at the beginning, but we promise it gets easier as you go!
2. Time Trials - This is different kind of swim meet intended for swimmers trying to get a post season cut (typically a divisional or state cut). Any swimmer is welcome to swim it, however, it will most likely be a little overwhelming for less seasoned swimmers. Children (and parents) choose what the child is swimming as the day goes on. Each child can swim 5 times and they stay down in a group on deck the entire day waiting for their turn to swim their event. There is no pre-seeding . . . thus no heat sheets. We actually write a card for each event and the child.
3. Divisional MAX NSC Intrasquad Relay Meet - This is a meet with our team only. It is unsanctioned - which means the times at this meet do not count toward a divisional/state time. It also means you won't pay to swim the meet ;-). We will not have volunteer sign ups nor will families get volunteer credit. This is to give our newer swimmers a chance to put everything together for a season ending meet. This meet is for swimmers NOT competing at Divisionals and State.
4. 2012 SW Indiana Divisional Championships - This is a qualifying meet. The times can be found in the meet entry letter (found on the event page for this event) or at www.inswimming.org. Or, you can log into your account and commit to this meet and the events your child has qualified for will be listed in black (it will show red if they aren't qualified). We are very fortunate to host this meet - 22 teams from SW Indiana (including teams from Indy) will join us on March 2-4. This meet is a BIG DEAL for our team. If your child has not yet qualified for a divisional meet, you will learn in the future how it's often one of the most exciting times in their swimming career. Hosting this meet offers our team some major benefits - not only as a fundraiser, but also to allow our children to swim in their home pool for a State level meet.
5. Volunteer hours - we are a parent run club and rely on our families for significant volunteer support. To check your volunteer balance, log into your account and click on "my account" on the left side of the page. Then click on "my invoice/payment" and on "service hours". Families who joined mid season (especially January) will have a pro-rated volunteer requirement. All families are needed at our 2012 SW Indiana Divisional Championship Meet. Prep, Green and Year Round HS families should work a minimum of 1 session. White and Black group families should work a minimum of 2 sessions. Families will be billed for unworked volunteer hours including divisionals.
6. "Wow, I have to work a lot" - We know we ask a lot of our member families and we thank you all for your time. Hosting meets at our pool is labor intensive. However, it benefits our club financially. We are a 501c3 non-profit and all the money from the meets goes back into the club, allowing our dues to stay low (the hourly expense for swimming is extremely low compared with many other sports) and allowing us to hire great coaches and swim in a great facility. It also benefits our swimmers. It is a huge advantage to compete in your home pool - both for the swimmer who doesn't have to fight a time change, and for the family who saves hundreds of dollars in hotel and meal expenses. The volunteer requirements set for families actually cover only HALF of the needs of the team. At divisionals alone, there are enough slots for each family to actually work 5 sessions. So, for all those families who go above and beyond - THANK YOU! We'll take any and all help for this meet - HS friends and children, grandparents, neighbors - bring them on!
7. If you don't see the job you like to do listed on the Divisional sign ups (announcer, computer, etc) please contact me. Not all the jobs are open to the entire team at this point.
Finally, thank you to all our parents and coaches! Our club is as strong as the families involved! We appreciate all you do for the team!